Coastal Canuks
This is the last sunset before 'the fog'.It's been foggy for the last 36 hours or so, but it feels like forever.
Living so close to the water here, has been interesting to say the least. There is sooooooo much humidity. I cook, and the windows fog up. You have a shower and the windows fog up. I do the dishes...the window fog up. In fact, the windows are foggy now, and I'm not even doing anything. Yesterday fog started to roll in off the ocean around noon, just spatters of it, here and there, like clouds come right down to the ground, it fills everything with this surreal mist white and then clears off, only to show that more is on the way, drifting slowly across the ocean to run into the streets once again...but around 4:00 yesterday it really socked us in and it hasn't gone away yet. I am waiting for the moment when I see blue sky peering above my head in it's glorious hue.
I like the mist and the complete saturation of my 'little world' here except that it takes forever for anything to dry -- but it is rather lush here on the coast.
On Monday night we went out for $1.50 Margarita's at a place called 'FRED's' (see photo) don't worry we all just had 1 -- and some really tasty Mexican food. (mine is the pink one=))
We had a table beside us that was rather 'rowdy' (understatement) so it was a little challenging to visit. Right at the entrance they have a parrot (see photo) that can actually talk (I got it to say hello) but every time the table beside us would go into their "joining in a loud hooting and hollering fiasco" the parrot would pipe up and squawk like crazy, pretty noisy =)

We went with Laura and Andy and another couple from church, Erin and Josh. Get this -- Erin works for a law firm down here that specializes in immigration to the U.S. (how convenient and a God send) so I was talking her ear off and she's graciously told me she'll see what info she can dig up for me on making my VISA process go -- they are a very nice couple, from Pittsburgh originally.
I really enjoyed talking to Erin, she's pretty homesick, and we talked about families and leaving homes and stuff ... she has this great accent too (I can only assume it's an 'east coast' accent ... or something similar, do they have a special accent in Pittsburgh?) anyways, that was Monday.
Yesterday was pretty uneventful, as I'm sure today will be, just working and trying to live and adjust and do all the things we normally do, thousands of miles from where we grew up doing it.
Both Jay and I are noticing that we are 'different', there is a culture down here, we just don't know. Example, yesterday we were renting a movie and the guy asks us "How ya doin'" and we reply "Not too bad" and he was like "what?", so we repeated, and he had NEVER heard the term before (!!) I say that all the time!, anyways, little things like that, all over, it's like people can tell you're totally not from here, so they treat you different, and EVERY place we go where we have to show our ID, we get bugged or 'gently teased' because we're Canadian and they can't read our ID properly (looking for the birthday is NOT that hard) and there are a myriad of people who are like "Alberda?? were's that??" etc.
Oh well, that's the beauty of life, Eh?
Till next blog. =) A.
Comments
It's Jo-Anne from "Alberda"! ha ha. Glad to hear you're still doing well in San Diego. Sent you an email regarding some work, not sure I have the right email address. Talk to you soon.
It'll be funny... And make sure you through an adequate amount of "eh"s at the end of your sentences, just to emphasize the fact that you're 'not from around here'.
funny stuff guys... enjoy being different.
rachel