Landscapes -- Manufactured

So, as some of you might be aware, we live in an absolute construction zone. The powers that be are currently demo-ing, re-modeling, and beautifying our complex, within which, in the end, we'll be "most happy" to pay the 50% increase to our rent for all the modifications which they're putting the property through ... (please feel my sarcasm here)

but in all seriousness -- the place is looking ALOT better, and it's a shame, since we won't be able to afford the rent, and right now we're living in a "dorm room" of sorts out of necessity (see our predicament from about a month ago)


So, amid the banging, the consistent "beep..beep..beep.." of backing up back-hoes, and the "swish, swish" of the sprayers, spraying new paint onto the weathered concrete of the building ... they tore up, or torn down (I guess, depending how you look at it). ALL the vegetation around the building ... they tore down the "dumb tree" (see post from when we first moved in) as well as many others, to make way for, who knew what ... until ... today.


At precisely 7:30 a.m. they started their normal, beep..beep, grumble, burrrr!!! of the trucks, but when we looked out the windows, I couldn't help but be a tourist in my own apt.


They were unloading palm trees, one by one, off a HUGE semi trailer, into our parking lot.


So, ofcourse, I snapped some shots! How many times in your life will you see Mexican men unloading palm trees off a truck ... seriously??



I wonder how much they cost ... probably more than our rent increase that's for certain. I don't know where these guys will end up, but I'll keep you posted.


Till next blog ~ a.

Comments

Anonymous said…
are you serious? mexicans doing landscape work in socal? wow, you ARE a tourist in your own home.

welcome to san diego, amy, many more mexicans to come!

i'd say,"come to our place for quiet", but we all know you'd get no work done cos i'd talk you ear off the entire time!

anyways, good lucks and use earplugs.
wow, that's so sad. have you ever watched the documentary "manufactured landscapes"? love em. (i'll be writing you a longer message very soon -- i'm off to Vacation Bible School to lead a bunch of kids in songs and dances)
Anonymous said…
Hi Amy, I finally got on a computer here at SnapLake and just want to say Hi. I will be home in a couple of days and I will call you then. Love you guys, Murray

Popular posts from this blog

Hope and Beyond

If I ever wondered if HE loved me

Studio Feb 13th . 2010