Random thoughts from a pondering mind

I'm feeling rather inspired tonight ~ and not artistically, but in my heart, and I wanted to write it down so that a) I won't forget and b) I can hold myself accountable to what i am thinking at this moment.
Simple right?


Tonight I went to my second staff meeting for the SanDiego Church, ever, and it was alright. I was asked to lead worship (all by myself!!) so I brought Evan's guitar and did a couple song's all while sweating and hoping I didn't screw up, but it worked out well.


The talk was pretty normal and churchy I guess, about the service, whether we should keep the tables, etc. But then the conversation turned a little serious. One of the guys there was mentioning a lady, who, I guess had decided to stop attending the church because there wasn't "communication" between the leadership and the congregation, and she is going through some stuff right now and really needed someone to minister to her as opposed to her coming to the church to serve: the church.


Now, I am completely new to this church staff thing, but I have to say, it seems that I am guilty of thinking that church is a place for us to serve, which it is, but it is so much more.


Church should be a place that people can go to find comfort and peace, in the presence of God, but also, to be helped and comforted by God's people. We need to really reach out to people, in a way that just allows them to be, to talk while we listen, as we walk, to bear one anothers' burdens. In this way, perhaps we can save the seemingly destroyed institution which is the church.


People are not turned off by God, in fact, I think if you asked most people they would say they believe in God, maybe even Jesus Christ, but the church has let them down, (aka, the people within) and they run away.


I am challenged to step out of my comfort zone right now, and foster and begin relationships with people who I don't know, people who are new, or old ,who just need something, I don't even know what yet. But I believe there is more to church than serving, although that is a good goal, I need to start giving, and the practice is different.


We need to give of ourselves, selflessly, and allow God to work, or else we suffocate the institution and become the Pharisees of the 21st century.

Comments

amen! and way to play that guitar girl :) love u.

Popular posts from this blog

Hope and Beyond

If I ever wondered if HE loved me

Studio Feb 13th . 2010