Alabaster jars and Fathers' Day
"6While Jesus was in Bethany in the home of a man known as Simon the Leper, 7a woman came to him with an alabaster jar of very expensive perfume, which she poured on his head as he was reclining at the table.8When the disciples saw this, they were indignant. "Why this waste?" they asked. 9"This perfume could have been sold at a high price and the money given to the poor."
10Aware of this, Jesus said to them, "Why are you bothering this woman? She has done a beautiful thing to me. 11The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me. 12When she poured this perfume on my body, she did it to prepare me for burial. 13I tell you the truth, wherever this gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her." Matthew 26:6-12
I turned to this today and found myself meditating on some of the words being used in this passage. This woman (who is described in other books (Luke) as "a sinful woman") "wastefully" worshipped the God of the universe. Somehow this does not seem wrong to me... rather what a role model that is! Her heart was so overcome with love for Jesus, that she brought an alabaster jar of perfume and anointed him with it (and her tears). What a beautiful picture of worship! So wonderful it is that the disciples were "indignant" at her act ... (or resentful) and kind of self-righteous I think, since it says after the fact that they complained that she "could have sold the perfume and jar and given the money to the poor". How human a reaction that is that sometimes we can slip into thinking about what we can do in our lives that will make us look good, when in reality, when it comes to our relationship with God it is HIM that is ALL that matters. It is true that faith without deeds is dead, but it is faith in itself that is sometimes our challenge. It challenges and inspires me to worship God with abandon.
----------
Last night we played a GREAT show in our home town of Carlsbad, the venue itself seemed a bit dicey at first, but we had friends there and it turned out to be a great show. I feel like everytime we play, we get a bit better, a bit stronger ... we get the same reaction when we play (which is usually akin to blowing the socks off people) but they generally like it and we get lots of good feedback. We've all agreed as a band to take the summer off to dig into writing more tunes and get into a real deal studio to record. And I am really excited about that.
My mom was here for a week, which was FANTASTIC and a bit strange at the same time. Most of the time I feel like we are friends, but I did have moments during her stay that i felt like a "daughter" again (namely one who was a child, not a woman anymore) I guess that feeling may never go away. it's strange, but all in all an amazing visit ... I love my mom so much! And I think our relationship is all the more special because of our early years. How my mom raised me as a single mother ... all we had was each other. Which brings me to days' like today, which is "Fathers Day" here on the North American Planet Earth. I have no "Father" to have those fond memories of ... yet I have a Heavenly Father, who will one day let me climb onto his feet, hold his scarred hands and dance with him ... it's something I will wait for with quiet, innocent expectation.
------------
I am not really looking forward to work this week -- but I will try =)
Till next blog ~ love, a.
Comments