One week from last week

And here I am.

So much has happened in one week, it seems rather surreal. I'll try to share that which is most consuming in life at the moment and hope that nothing important falls through the cracks. I admit, sometimes it is hard to share what's been going on in life though this blog, because my fingers (as I type) and the thoughts that comes sometimes don't keep up with one another, or forget things too ... I'll try my best.

As most of you know, Jay and I have been helping to lead worship @ the North Oceanside Church plant now for just over one month (this weekend will be week 5). Church plants are very interesting, because it seems to me that churches themselves can have personalities ... some are more charismatic, others hospitable, others warriors, others lukewarm, It really depends prob. on leadership and how the actual members of the church sow into each other and into their communities. (I guess that's a whole other blog)

So, our little church has been banded together by grief and heartbreak these last 2 weeks. Last Tuesday we got word that our Pastor Chris Martinez's little 9 month old boy (Christopher Jr. or "Little Chris") is very ill. His little body apparently full of cancer. He had gotten sick and through a routine checkup, more tests were run, upon more, upon the horror of having to admit him to the Children's Hospital and now, through fevers and an operation (a procedure through which they put something into his little body so they can administer chemotherapy) this family is hurting and heartbroken, and I have watched the whole church carry this burden to. The cancer is inoperable (is that how you say) ... we have been praying (more than ever before it seems) for healing, comfort, peace, and Gods' strength.

It's a strange place for me to be in, because we are just getting to know everyone, so are not very close with the family, yet we met them, shared meals with them and their children. I am in a place of feeling their hurt and grief from a distance, while also being outside enough to see the church pulling together, sharing tears, being prayer warriors. It's also--albeit a very unfortunate place to be--also very beautiful. A picture of the body of Christ working as it should. Carrying each others burdens.

It's also been an interesting place to be from a worship standpoint. Up until last week, i think the people were just getting used to us, used to worship where they could enter in and worship that was more seamless than before. Last week, worship was intense, intimate, ministering. It was the first time we started the last song, and people just stood there and kept singing & crying. (Usually we watch them file and fly out the door in about 30 secs).

So, that's life right now. Perspective has been shifted for me. I am thankful for everyday, I am learning and growing and hopeful still, even in the face of hopelessness.

There are no worship songs for situations like this, which I've found interesting too (as I've been searching the ccli library, and my heart). Maybe through this church, one will be built.

Please be in prayer for our Pastor and his family, and for us as we lead the congregation through this time.

Till next blog ~ a.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I ever wondered if HE loved me

Hope and Beyond