Crashing Arizona!
------
I had pictured Arizona to be hot, dry and well, whatever a desert looks like. What I saw as we drove there, as the miles passed and we got higher and higher on this continent, was a lot of trees, and the looks and topography a lot more like that of Jasper (with smaller mountains) or the Alberta Foothills. High rolling rocks with small shrubs and Ponderosa pines dotting the harsh landscape. It looked like a terrain that was at present experiencing a bit of a pleasant reprieve from the sun's scorching rays.
The first night we got there the wind was treacherous, and though we went out to look at the Canyon, we couldn't stay too long. We were weary and I had a massive headache from traveling 7000ft into the atmosphere. (Do not underestimate the power of altitude!) We crashed quickly and I woke the next morning to my alarm at 5:55. One of the things I really wanted to do was capture the sunrise at the Rim. By the grace of God, the cabin I had booked for our first night's stay was a close 1/4 of a mile from the edge, easy walking distance, and a place I would certainly stay at again.
The only thing that topped my morning trip to the Rim was later that day as Jay and I hiked down the edge of the Canyon on Bright Angel Trail, we only went down about an hour and a bit, but the view from inside those rocky cliffs was so gorgeous, not too mention warmer =)
And so, Jay and I got to experience the Canyon, in all it's majesty, beauty and vastness, under the cover of blowing clouds and snow flurries -- which was actually pretty cool. I think I speak for both of us, when I say that I did not want to leave that place. Nothing really looked the same after gazing out at that expanse! We drove to Sedona the third day of our vacation (about 2 hours from the Canyon, south) and looked at fantastic rock formations -- red, hard earth sculpted by water, wind, the hands of God. But again, it seemed a pale, crumbling step brother to the Grand Canyon.
On the way back we drove and drove back through the dry mountains and then through the straight desert roads to the Hoover Dam and Las Vegas. We couldn't pull into the Dam because of construction, so we did a quick stop there before heading to the city of Lights and (in my observation) much darkness.
The Vegas strip is electric and chaotic. Stuffed with people, parties and pornography, it was a bit overwhelming. The outskirts seem deserted, a concrete and dirt, callous version of the desert we just drove through. We stayed at the Monte Carlo hotel but walked through quite a few different places. We gambled (I lost $5 and decided it was the lamest thing I've done in a while) we watched others bet, win and lose. We went shopping, eating and spectating all that seemed to be in view. Even spent some time at the pool listening to music that was way to loud and watching couples that were way to careless. We spent two nights there and Sunday morning I was most ready to leave!
As we drove home, the thought of ocean and breeze, cool and complete home ministered to my soul.
Overall, I was so glad to spend a week with the most amazing man I've met and one that I am blessed to call husband and friend. Though I am sad that our vacation is over, I've taken the rest of the week off of work too, to just chill at home, digest what I experience and "come home" in my soul and spirit too.
It's time to get working on the music soon again too!! I am looking forward to that ;)
Till next blog!
love, a.
Comments
love em.