Monday rambles ... sorry.


This blog is going to be about questions. And I'll start with this one:

Why do we do such a poor job of representing what "Christian" looks like in this North American world? I feel like here (maybe I speak specifically of Southern California, or maybe the US), the word stands for people who are self-righteousness, judgmental, greedy, moronic and close-minded. It seems it has nothing to do with what it should be.

The biblical definition is one of self-less-ness, acceptance, compassion, graciousness, humility, faithfulness and ofcourse love. How is it that we have somehow skewed this SO much that when the world thinks Christian, they see the opposite? When, how and why does this shift take place? And can we shift it back?

It makes me frustrated because sometimes I look at "the church" (general term used here) full of "Christians" and I COMPLETELY see what the world sees. And I serve and work in one! It scares me to be quite frank.

The responsibility to live as Christ did, and follow Him to my utmost begins and ends with me, and you, if you choose to accept. There is nothing huge that I can do to show this world what a real faithful relationship with God looks like, except to live it to my best, and know that I will fail. To be transparent and honest with everything. Why is it so hard for us to do this?

When it comes down to it in the end -- we will all answer to the Lord, and we will have spent our whole, short lives either accepting his Truth (whether we realized it or not) or rejecting Him, and what we will do in the end, is up to our hearts.

But to continue to show love and oppose the worlds standards of life (selfish gain, vanity, corruption, pride and greed, malice) with what is honorable and true, light and real life. It is all I can do.

For light is the most beautiful when it breaks the darkness into dawn. I want to live like that. In the church, AND out of it.

Lord show me how.

Till next blog,
love, a.

Comments

"light is the most beautiful when it breaks the darkness into dawn" - I agree, and have been watching the sun rising here in PA, and thinking about the glory of the Lord rising upon His bride when all is dark around us.

I also agree with your observation of much of western Christianity. We need to go back to the simplicity, love and power of Jesus. I see God drawing hearts to Him, building a church that won't be contained within walls and who won't choose their own comfort and what they have known (religious tradition, ways of the world, etc.) over love and obedience to Christ.

I appreciate the purity of your heart. Keep shining the light!
Mommy Emily said…
amen, dear amy! amen. i see this all the time, and it hurts and scares me. but we just have to keep emulating the truth, seeking the kingdom. if we start to judge then we'll become bitter and corrupt too. love you hon. xoxo

Popular posts from this blog

If I ever wondered if HE loved me

Hope and Beyond