Mother's

Galatians 5:22-25


 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.

This mother's day our Pastor had asked us to read Galatians 5: 22-25 (the parts about the fruits of the spirit) and share a bit about our mother's, and how they exhibited one of those fruits. He had asked me to do the same but when I read it, something quite different stood out to me ~ Since we LIVE by the Spirit, let us keep in step with THE SPIRIT ... it reminded me of an old song my mom used to sing to me before bed.

She would tuck me in and scratch my back and sing me one of three songs (or all of them, if I was particularly lucky that night). She would sing, Jesus Loves Me (ofcourse) Jesus Loves the Little Children, and this song "They'll know we are Christians".  Which seems like an odd combination, since the latter is a super 60's song (written in 66' by a priest), but I always loved it.  It sounded so achingly sad really, but powerful and sweet -- and she didn't know all the words either, so she'd always end up humming certain parts ... pretty funny now that I looked back, but those moments -- that intimate place between my mom and me, when it was just us, no outside, no hurt, no other people, just her voice and her comfort, was one of my most precious memories as a child.

So, I shared that today, and sang and played this song (first time EVER singing AND playing in front of our church ... I was super nervous -- I even made the mistake of introducing it as "this song is super old and written in 1966"!!! Believe me I got "eyes" from everyone over 40 ... but everyone laughed tho ... so, I think it went over o.k. I still felt bad...)




Happy Mother's day all ~ This song goes out to my amazing mom, and my precious momma H. ofcourse! I love you both!!!

Till Next Blog~ love, a.

Comments

Murray said…
I love it!!!
Joybird said…
Uhmmmm...songs written in '66 are old. That's about the time my lullabies were written, too. My mom sang a couple of Jesus People choruses to us. And dang girl, you have some killer pipes. Absolutely beautiful!
Hey, I am so glad to read yr blog today. beautiful song and love the view. The Lord is using you to touch so many lives - especially your new family. Going to see Auntie up at the cottage tomorrow - remember that trip! Love from Montreal.

Popular posts from this blog

If I ever wondered if HE loved me

Hope and Beyond