Sisters
(This next blog post is pretty lengthy so I'm splitting it up into sections, I wrote it on the plane while flying back from Minneapolis last Friday -- all the reflections on my sisters and meeting them and all else, also some pics =) )
I have wondered at that word a bit over the years. I've known friends who have had sisters, and I have wonderful sisters-in-laws, I have sisters in Christ who hold me up and pray for me ~ but I didn't know the meaning of the word really (in my opinion) until this week.
When I was discovered by my Dad and family 8 months ago it was a whirlwind of emotion and excitement and wonder, mostly for my dad at first, and he has eight other children ~ which is a feat in this day and age. I quickly became attached to two of the eight ~ two sisters, Emma (the one who emailed me on facebook first) and Elle, a 20 year old sweetheart cowgirl. They texted and facebooked me, and I was able to chat with them on the phone, but even they still seemed surreal, it's very different just chatting on the phone, getting to know each other that way, than it is in real person.
So, when I was afforded the opportunity to travel to MN in the middle of August, because Emma would be there, visiting family (grandparents) and Elle, I pretty much jumped at the thought. Since my dad was not jumping any guns to see me, there was no way I wanted to go a whole year, with this whole new family, and not have met them. I prayed about it (this was all during my Daniel fast too) and decided to go.
So I braved the flight (even now as I type my tummy is fighting knots at 30,000 feet! Lol) and arrived on Monday, Aug. 15th in Minneapolis MN to meet my sister Emma.
Honestly, I thought I would cry ... Maybe ... I actually wasn't really sure how I would feel, but when I saw her in her white cotton dress and her red scarf (we had planned to both wear red scarves so there would be no confusion when we saw each other) I smiled (I saw her before she saw me) took her in, took a deep breath and then alerted her to my presence, we hugged and small chatted for just a bit, but then it didn't feel awkward at all, just pleasant and peaceful.
And I did exactly what I thought I might do, I stared at her a bit, just looking at her face and trying to find myself and Dad in the details.
We drove to Rogers, went for a VERY unhealthy lunch (really, I so backfired on my Daniel Fast at this point I feel like I need to do it again to recuperate!). And just chatted, I showed her the three pics that I have of Dad and the letters that Edward Tuderpole had sent me back 10 years ago (wow, ten years!!) when I was seeking my dad and it was good.
In the evening I met Elle.
I was pretty excited about Elle because of all the sisters she looks most like me, and she has a passion for horses which I can tell is very close to her heart. We met her and her boyfriend Tony (a classic Mid-Western Good-Ol'Boy) at dinner. And I stared again. Just . Stared.
~ to be continued ;)
I have wondered at that word a bit over the years. I've known friends who have had sisters, and I have wonderful sisters-in-laws, I have sisters in Christ who hold me up and pray for me ~ but I didn't know the meaning of the word really (in my opinion) until this week.
When I was discovered by my Dad and family 8 months ago it was a whirlwind of emotion and excitement and wonder, mostly for my dad at first, and he has eight other children ~ which is a feat in this day and age. I quickly became attached to two of the eight ~ two sisters, Emma (the one who emailed me on facebook first) and Elle, a 20 year old sweetheart cowgirl. They texted and facebooked me, and I was able to chat with them on the phone, but even they still seemed surreal, it's very different just chatting on the phone, getting to know each other that way, than it is in real person.
So, when I was afforded the opportunity to travel to MN in the middle of August, because Emma would be there, visiting family (grandparents) and Elle, I pretty much jumped at the thought. Since my dad was not jumping any guns to see me, there was no way I wanted to go a whole year, with this whole new family, and not have met them. I prayed about it (this was all during my Daniel fast too) and decided to go.
So I braved the flight (even now as I type my tummy is fighting knots at 30,000 feet! Lol) and arrived on Monday, Aug. 15th in Minneapolis MN to meet my sister Emma.
Honestly, I thought I would cry ... Maybe ... I actually wasn't really sure how I would feel, but when I saw her in her white cotton dress and her red scarf (we had planned to both wear red scarves so there would be no confusion when we saw each other) I smiled (I saw her before she saw me) took her in, took a deep breath and then alerted her to my presence, we hugged and small chatted for just a bit, but then it didn't feel awkward at all, just pleasant and peaceful.
And I did exactly what I thought I might do, I stared at her a bit, just looking at her face and trying to find myself and Dad in the details.
We drove to Rogers, went for a VERY unhealthy lunch (really, I so backfired on my Daniel Fast at this point I feel like I need to do it again to recuperate!). And just chatted, I showed her the three pics that I have of Dad and the letters that Edward Tuderpole had sent me back 10 years ago (wow, ten years!!) when I was seeking my dad and it was good.
In the evening I met Elle.
| Can you tell who's fee belong to who?? All this time I thought I had my grandpa's feet ~ guess I was wrong ;) |
I was pretty excited about Elle because of all the sisters she looks most like me, and she has a passion for horses which I can tell is very close to her heart. We met her and her boyfriend Tony (a classic Mid-Western Good-Ol'Boy) at dinner. And I stared again. Just . Stared.
~ to be continued ;)
Comments