Even in darkness, there is light


For the last several day's in the waters off our coast there has been red tide. Red Tide is basically just a "toxic" algae bloom that makes the waters look muddy and dark, sort of dirty and red. (Hence the name, red tide). But, these red algae's have a little secret that's pretty fantastic. They have "bio-luminescence". So, for those that don't know: "Bio-luminescence is the production and emission of light by a living organism. Its name is a hybrid word, originating from the Greek bios for "living" and the Latin lumen "light". Bioluminescence is a naturally occurring form of chemiluminescence where energy is released by a chemical reaction in the form of light emission. Fireflies, anglerfish, and other creatures produce the chemicals luciferin (a pigment) and luciferase (an enzyme).[1] The luciferin reacts with oxygen to create light." (from Wikkipedia).

Basically, when the waves come crashing down at night, the stirred up water and waves GLOW. As you watch from the shore, it looks like blue lava, or molten something. It's absolutely majestic! What a wonderful thing God created ~ even in the darkness, there is fantastic light. Light that moves and shifts and rolls and reflects and then disappears, only to surface again.
In the five years we've lived here I have never seen anything so magical yet. It's like the oceans version of aurora borealis.

So, ofcourse I needed to try to capture this phenom. I didn't have a tri-pod so the pics are pretty blurry. I had to leave my shutter open between 8 - 13 seconds a pop, but I think you get the general idea ;) Till Next Blog!! love, a.


Comments

Murray said…
Thanks for sharing the
"So-calinoceanboriealice"

Popular posts from this blog

If I ever wondered if HE loved me

Hope and Beyond