My Nan
I called Ireland today.
It was one of the scariest and best calls I think I have ever made.
Quite a while ago, when all the dad stuff was going on, I had heard that his mom, my grandmother wanted to reach out to me. At first and at that time, I was not really into that. I was pretty hurt by my father still, and I had no desire to add anything to that mix, so I left it, and quite honestly didn't think too much about it until just before this past Christmas.
I learned from Emily (my sister) that Hazel (grandmom) was in the hospital in Ireland and I just got struck, that if she passed, I would feel pretty aweful, knowing that she had the desire to meet me, and me not reaching out. So I wrote her a letter.
And waited.
On my birthday, I received a card, "to my Granddaughter on her Birthday" the front read and I almost cried. Actually, I think I did. You see, my grandparents have long been gone, 10 years, since anyone's' referred to me as a "grand". It was the sweetest card and over the next couple months I've written her and she's written me.
Her writing is a bit hard to navigate, but over all very neat, and she expressed her wish to speak with me, so I gave her my phone number.
And waited.
I got another letter this last Saturday, which oddly enough turns out, was her birthday (!!!) She had tried to call, but couldn't for some reason, the operator had said my number was "nonnegotiable" ... so I wanted to call her right then and there, but there is an 8 hr time difference, and it would have been close to midnight, so I had to wait.
The time was right this morning. I sat outside (at work) and dialed the number ...
And waited....
A women's voice answered, english accent and sounding rather timeless, not old. (as a side note, I'm not sure why I thought she would be "old" sounding ... and I was scared I wouldn't be able to understand her ... no worries there). I asked for Hazel ... and she paused and then said, "oh bless your heart, bless your heart!" =)
My heart brims with joy just thinking of it. We talked for about 1/2 hr, about random here and there things, she asked me what I liked, what colors I liked, what I did for work etc., what kind of art I do, and she shared that art and that talent runs in the family. I guess one of my aunts (Fiona) can draw a mean portrait or two.
She told me that "She prays to the Almighty but doesn't go to church", she lives alone with two (?) cats ... "dresses rather like a hobo but doesn't care" and "she cares not for money, the Almighty won't let her take it when she dies".
She also told me that she would love to meet me, for which I am SO into making a reality, and she told me that she loved me to "peices, and that's a lot coming from her." ... She also said she showed my photograph to her taxi driver who said I was a real "stunner", which is saying a lot for someone who is Irish apparently, lol
I pray that this reunion ends differently than the last.
In joy! Till next Blog,
love a.
It was one of the scariest and best calls I think I have ever made.
Quite a while ago, when all the dad stuff was going on, I had heard that his mom, my grandmother wanted to reach out to me. At first and at that time, I was not really into that. I was pretty hurt by my father still, and I had no desire to add anything to that mix, so I left it, and quite honestly didn't think too much about it until just before this past Christmas.
I learned from Emily (my sister) that Hazel (grandmom) was in the hospital in Ireland and I just got struck, that if she passed, I would feel pretty aweful, knowing that she had the desire to meet me, and me not reaching out. So I wrote her a letter.
And waited.
On my birthday, I received a card, "to my Granddaughter on her Birthday" the front read and I almost cried. Actually, I think I did. You see, my grandparents have long been gone, 10 years, since anyone's' referred to me as a "grand". It was the sweetest card and over the next couple months I've written her and she's written me.
Her writing is a bit hard to navigate, but over all very neat, and she expressed her wish to speak with me, so I gave her my phone number.
And waited.
I got another letter this last Saturday, which oddly enough turns out, was her birthday (!!!) She had tried to call, but couldn't for some reason, the operator had said my number was "nonnegotiable" ... so I wanted to call her right then and there, but there is an 8 hr time difference, and it would have been close to midnight, so I had to wait.
The time was right this morning. I sat outside (at work) and dialed the number ...
And waited....
A women's voice answered, english accent and sounding rather timeless, not old. (as a side note, I'm not sure why I thought she would be "old" sounding ... and I was scared I wouldn't be able to understand her ... no worries there). I asked for Hazel ... and she paused and then said, "oh bless your heart, bless your heart!" =)
My heart brims with joy just thinking of it. We talked for about 1/2 hr, about random here and there things, she asked me what I liked, what colors I liked, what I did for work etc., what kind of art I do, and she shared that art and that talent runs in the family. I guess one of my aunts (Fiona) can draw a mean portrait or two.
She told me that "She prays to the Almighty but doesn't go to church", she lives alone with two (?) cats ... "dresses rather like a hobo but doesn't care" and "she cares not for money, the Almighty won't let her take it when she dies".
She also told me that she would love to meet me, for which I am SO into making a reality, and she told me that she loved me to "peices, and that's a lot coming from her." ... She also said she showed my photograph to her taxi driver who said I was a real "stunner", which is saying a lot for someone who is Irish apparently, lol
I pray that this reunion ends differently than the last.
In joy! Till next Blog,
love a.

Comments