South Carolina Day Six - Jamming with my Dad

 Today was a literal dream come true.

I think for as long as I have wanted to meet my dad, I have wanted to make music with him. I didn’t have an idea of what that would look like or how it would transpire. But today, it finally happened.

And it almost didn’t.

You may remember at the beginning of the trip my dad injured himself somehow, he was in a lot of pain and could, quite literally, barely move. I thought that the chances of us jamming together would be long gone. And when he brought my to his studio room, that thought seemed to be justified as he had taken out all of his music gear. (Except his drum kit) and loaded it into trailers.

I thought there was no way we would be able to play together.

I had asked him yesterday and told him it was something I really had wanted to do, and we went out to the barn/quansat hut of a studio and he began unloading all the gear. I was helping, and honestly, even that in itself felt like a right of passage with my dad. I was his little girl, watching him work and helping where I could, it was a gift.

Today I arrived at his house and he had finished putting out the amps and heads and I helped to put out the rest with him. He invited a friend of his over to play drums (not very well, but he wasn’t horrible) and we played through some songs. We played the song that he had written to me and my mom, The Sea. We played More Love More Power ( I think that may be my dad’s favorite worship song). We also played my song “Be Magnified” and “Summertime Blues”. It was incredible. I felt like my trip had landed today.

In the days’ previous things had felt uneven, cautious. I could see how old he was getting, how hard it was for him to move, and how he did not (does not) care about himself, what he eats, etc. I was worried for him

Another thing I have noticed about this trip is that it’s easy for me to call him “Dad” now. I struggled with this for a long while. It always felt alien to call someone dad. I resisted in my spirit for a long time. However now I feel like it rolls off my heart like it’s always been waiting to come out.

More Healing, More Release. More Love, More Power.

This was the best day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

If I ever wondered if HE loved me

Hope and Beyond