About Loving Someone that you've never met

It's not often that you get that chance really. Can you think of the last time you did?
Usually you meet someone, a friendship sparks and you grow ~ it grows. sometimes slowly through bonds of tea and long talks, sometimes quickly through circumstance or tragedy. But usually, I would wager almost always, you see & experience before you believe.


Perhaps it wasn't necessarily just regarding Faith in Christ when Jesus told his disciples after his resurrection “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” Because it takes such faith to do so.  And sometimes believing in a Big and Gracious God is the easy part. What about believing in the love of others? Others who can, will and often do, let you down, because after all, we are all human

I have been given the beautiful circumstance of loving people before I see them; with the revelation in January of my Father and his whole, rather large family. At first it didn't seem so beautiful, but almost cruel, and un-necessary.  How dare someone who doesn't know me, take my life and tear it away—all that I knew—and expect me to receive without consequence.  It has been an interesting road. But there are shafts of brilliant and blessed light that weave it's way through the waiting.

So, it is beginning.  It is this strange, warm strength in my heart to know that I am an older sister, THE OLDEST sister.  To a couple girls now who are in my life, and for some crazy reason, they love me. (At least they say they do, but I believe them.) And they are sweet, and creative and soulful and a bit strange—so much like me! ~ and they even LOOK like me.  Why God let me wait 30 years till he opened the floodgates of family for me, I will not know.  And I still wait with quiet and patient expectation for my Father, who still hangs in the wings.  But it doesn't hurt so much, because I've discovered that I am the same person, and not having a Dad, OR HAVING ONE, doesn't really define WHO I really am.

I have never seen their breathing faces yet. Never laughed with them or talked serious over teas.  But I love them, really love them.  My sisters.

And I do love him too, my dad ~ as I wait. It will be God's timing I guess, but at least I have peace, and I have sisters, in Christ and in blood.

Till Next Blog,
love, a.

(linking today with my precious friend emily)

Comments

I never really thought of it that way before. Thank you for sharing your experience of a true 'blind love'. I think yes it must be harder, but also must be all the more precious for the same reasons.
Brian Miller said…
glad you do not let that define you...but that is a beautiful love...
Joybird said…
Ammee, He is doing such beautiful things in the waiting, allowing your heart to expand without busting, seeing the tender shoots of acceptance and love nurtured. It's kind of coll to watch (although I imagine a little more challenging to live.) If He is doing all of this in your heart during the waiting I wonder what He is doing in theirs, especially your father's? What are His brilliant shafts of light revealing or nurturing over there?
Belinda said…
Such an extraordinary situation you're in. From where I stand, it looks like a marvelous gift -- to find out you're related to all these people. Glad to know you have peace.
Mommy Emily said…
oh ammee... i've been wondering, thinking of you on this road, hoping for this light to shine through, and there it is, so beautiful.... God has given you this broken family, and the knowledge that you are loved, so loved, even from afar. (btw, i will always treasure our tea-dates and i too, love you from afar)... thank you so much for linking friend. and for the beautiful blog button you made me :) xoxo

Popular posts from this blog

Hope and Beyond

If I ever wondered if HE loved me

Studio Feb 13th . 2010